My background is in earth and environmental sciences, with particular focus on the interaction between ice and climate.
Science. My research currently encompasses three main areas: 1) investigating the dynamic response of Antarctic outlet glaciers during retreat; 2) determining how the size of the Antarctic ice sheet has changed in the past, and estimating the associated contribution to sea level; and 3) developing the applications of cosmogenic nuclides and surface-exposure dating to better reconstruct ice sheet history.
Outreach. I am passionate about engaging the wider public in Antarctica and climate-related science. In particular, I share my Antarctic experiences through an online blog and videos, and was co-founder of Climatica – a climate science-public interaction initiative, which offers short articles about climate change and the Earth system, written by relevant scientific experts.
IN THE MEDIA
Cold warning from Antarctica’s past, NZ Herald (27 November 2015).
Antarctic glacier’s past rapid retreat, Radio NZ (27 November 2015).
Dating of moraines around Lake Ohau, GNS Science outreach blog (24 September 2013).
- 2015, Ph.D., Physical Geography, Victoria University of Wellington (NZ).
- 2009, M.Sc. (Distinction), Quaternary Science, University of London (UK).
- 2008, B.Sc. (1st Class Hons.), Physical Geography with Environmental Science, University of Gloucestershire (UK).
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Cosmogenic nuclide sample preparation and geochemistry (Beryllium-10 and Aluminium-26).
- Sampling of nunataks and moraines for surface-exposure dating (3x Antarctic seasons, 1x Greenland season, and New Zealand).
- Geomorphological mapping (Scotland, Switzerland, New Zealand, Antarctica).
- Sediment coring – Gravity core (NE Greenland).
- Sedimentology – Field section descriptions, core logging and grain-size analysis.
- Glacier/ice-sheet modelling – 1-d and 3-d (Python; PISM).
- Data processing – ArcGIS, MATLAB, GMT.
AWARDS & GRANTS
- 2016, President’s Award for Best Doctoral Thesis, New Zealand Geographical Society.
- 2016, International Junior Research Fellowship (Marie Sklodowska-Curie cofunded by Durham University).
- 2015, Faculty Strategic Research Grant (Victoria University of Wellington), ‘Establishing the capability of measuring cosmogenic 10Be in Antarctic sediment cores’ (Co-PI), NZ$6000.
- 2015, New Zealand Antarctic Research Institute grant, ‘Constraining Antarctica’s contribution to past global sea level rise in Northern Victoria Land and the western Ross Sea’ (Co-PI), NZ$100,000.
- 2015, Antarctic Research Endowed Development Fund (VUW), NZ$3000.
- 2013, Antarctic Science Bursary, ‘Dynamics of outlet glaciers in the Transantarctic Mountains since the Last Glacial Maximum’ (PI), £5000.
- 2013, Antarctic Research Endowed Development Fund (VUW), NZ$3500.
- 2013, School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences (VUW), ‘Glacial history and behaviour of outlet glaciers in the Transantarctic Mountains since the Last Glacial Maximum’ (PI), NZ$4000.
- 2011-2014, International Doctoral Research Scholarship, Victoria University of Wellington.
- 2014-present, American Geophysical Union.
- 2014-present, European Geosciences Union.
- 2012-present, International Glaciological Society.
- 2008-present, Geologists’ Association.
- 2007-present, Quaternary Research Association.